Since 1974, our structured program for refugee resettlement has started more than 10,000 refugees on a new life in the U.S. As the Wisconsin affiliate of the Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service, LSS provides comprehensive resettlement services to refugees fleeing from war and persecution around the globe.
LSS Refugee is right now working with those on the front lines of the Afghan crisis in the U.S to better understand the need for support in Wisconsin.
More Ways to Help Support Afghan Refugees
Ways to give cash donations are listed below.
- We need critical cash donations to cover the cost of rent for apartments and entire homes for up to six months.
- Online: Click Donate at the top or bottom of this page and complete the form.
- Mail: Make checks payable to Lutheran Social Services – Refugee and send to P.O. Box 88868, Milwaukee, WI, 53288.
- Mobile phone: Text LSSREFUGEE to 41444.
- In-Kind and other donations: Email Sarah Halstead at Relations@lsswis.orgwith your offering.
- Pre-assembled kits – see the LSS Home Supply List for details and ideas. Gift card donations, grocery shopping assistance and food deliveries from ethnic restaurants.
- Please note: We are unable to accept clothing at this time. We will use gift cards to purchase items based on need.
- Co-Sponsoring Groups and Individual Volunteers: Email Relations@lsswis.orgwith your name, contact information and offering.
- Co-sponsor a family for 6-12 months (for churches and other groups). Individuals can also participate by joining a co-sponsor group. Please see the FAQ for details about what co-sponsoring entails.
- Organizing and managing stored in-kind donations
- Transportation to appointments, shopping, etc.
- Recreation, child care and respite for parents or single parents.
- Community outings.
Check back for updates on the situation and needs for support.