Since 1974, our structured program for refugee resettlement has started more than 10,000 refugees on a new life in the U.S. As the Wisconsin affiliate of the Lutheran Immigration and Refugee Service, LSS provides comprehensive resettlement services to refugees fleeing from war and persecution around the globe.
LSS Refugee is right now working with those on the front lines of the Afghan crisis in the U.S to better understand the need for support in Wisconsin.
More Ways to Help Support Afghan Refugees
Ways to give cash donations are listed below.
- We need critical cash donations to cover the cost of rent or residence hotels for up to six months.
- Online: Click Donate at the top or bottom of this page and complete the form.
- Mail: Make checks payable to Lutheran Social Services – Refugee and send to P.O. Box 88868, Milwaukee, WI, 53288.
- Mobile phone: Text LSSREFUGEE to 41444.
- In-Kind and other donations: Email Sarah Halstead at Church.Relations@lsswis.org with your offering.
- Pre-assembled kits – click here for details and ideas. Examples below:
- Hygiene (e.g., soap, shampoo, toothpaste, and other personal care items).
- Household (e.g., pots, pans, dish towels)
- Cleaning (e.g., dish soap, laundry detergent, sponges)
- Food deliveries from ethnic restaurants, grocery shopping assistance, and grocery/gift card donations.
- Socks and underwear for men, women and children in all sizes. Please note: We are unable to accept any other clothing at this time
- Volunteering: Email Church.Relations@lsswis.org with your name, contact information and offering.
- Co-sponsor a family for 6-12 months (for churches and other groups). Individuals can also participate by joining a co-sponsor group. Please see the FAQ for details about what co-sponsoring entails.
- Transportation to appointments, shopping, etc.
- Recreation, child care and respite for parents or single parents.
- Community outings.
Check back for updates on the situation and needs for support.
Currently, LSS has the capacity to welcome and resettle 500 refugees per year within a 50-mile radius of Milwaukee. Our program provides high-quality services, including initial housing, food, clothing, school enrollment for children, English lessons, and assistance with job placement.
Donate to Refugee Efforts
We actively seek donations to help keep our Refugee Resettlement Program operating at full capacity and ready to respond in emergency situations. Any contribution you can make will help us assist refugees as they become independent, vibrant members of our communities.